Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Irony

Looking around at my house right now, you would never know that approximately a year ago a friend came over to help me organize. Everything looked so nice and neat when she left and now, if I didn't know better, I'd swear someone ransacked the place. There are blankets laying over the couch and draped over chairs to make a "house". There are clean, folded clothes lying on the living room floor waiting to be transported upstairs, along with an undisclosed number of toys. There are tiny pieces of cut up paper laying on the dining room floor from a 4-year old's "project". There are dirty and clean dishes piled on the kitchen counter. The kitchen floor is so dirty that today when I dropped a dollop of dip, I didn't even bother to wipe it up because I HAVE to mop later anyway. The garbage truck got missed yesterday, so the trash is setting in the kitchen waiting to be taken to the porch. The dining room table is piled with papers and stuff I need to "go through". The play room, well, let's just say it needs to be cleaned up. Oh, and I need to pick my coat up off the floor where it landed when I came home from my house cleaning job this morning. We won't even discuss the irony of that last sentence...

Sometimes I wonder where my days go, and how at the end of them I find myself asking, "what did I actually accomplish today?" Well, yesterday morning I woke up and ate breakfast with my daughter. After that, we made masks - like the kind people wear to a masked ball. She added her fun little decorations and they turned out really cute. We made lunch together, and then baked a chocolate cake in the afternoon. I laid down on the futon with her and read stories and we took a nap. After supper, we watched American Idol together and then I read her some more stories before bed.

When I look at my day in that light, I guess I accomplished quite a bit.

No comments: